Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The truth about Benton getting kicked out of Senate MCC Leadership.

Contrary to what the democratian reported, Don Benton did not decide to stay out of MCC Leadership this session: his best efforts notwithstanding, he was voted out by the GOP Caucus.

His subsequent coup, where he joined with the entirety of the Senate Democrats to vote in Pam Roach as President Pro Tem over Sen. Tim Sheldon, the GOP Caucus's choice, was a result of the subsequent snit and pay back.

This was how the newspaper characterized it:
Earlier this month, Benton was not re-elected as majority deputy leader by his fellow Republicans. He told The Columbian it was in part because he made it clear he preferred to chair a committee. 
Nonsense.

Here's the email he sent out before he was defeated in his efforts to remain in leadership.
From: "Don Benton" <don.benton@xxxxxxx.net>
Date: November 29, 2014 at 2:31:35 PM PST
Subject: Leadership Elections and my work requests for session 
Dear Colleagues, 
I wanted you to know that I have decided to run for re-election as deputy leader and I am writing to ask for your support. Since we formed our coalition 2 years ago we have been very successful working as a team. Our leadership  has diverse experience which makes us strong as a unit. I can and will serve whoever is elected leader and continue my representation of you in leadership meetings and in negotiations with the House. You all know what you get with me, a straight shooter with lots of experience vast rules knowledge and a tough negotiator!

Since Deputy leader is a support role, I feel my seniority and experience has earned a chairmanship, especially since I gave one up to accommodate the “shared chairs” concept last year with the forming of the MCC. I would prefer transportation chairman as a perfect fit for my experience and the caucus’s need right now . As a second choice, it would be fun to have my old committee back that I gave up to make the coalition work, FIHI, which I voluntarily gave up as one of the committees we offered to Democrats 2 years ago. It was a great experiment, I am glad it is over! I am happy to serve wherever the Committee on Committees believes I am the best asset to the caucus.

Anyway, I am hoping you agree that it is important to have historical perspective as well as experience on your leadership team. I hope I can count on your support for re-election as Deputy Leader. Looking forward to seeing you on Monday.  
Thanks,
Don Benton

FYI- I support the 2/3rds rule for tax increases and I could support a  small gas tax if enough meaningful reforms are passed first. I will be happy to respond to any other questions but since I have already seen those come up, here ya go.

No comments: