Tuesday, July 03, 2012

For those claiming we're not spending enough on education: DC spends $29,400 PER STUDENT = abysmal outcomes.

In yet another sign that the primary problems with education do not involve funding, I offer this tidbit: Students in DC get roughly twice the amount of money we spend here in Washington State.

To narrow that down, the figure is $29,409 per pupil.

And what do they have to show for it?

Well, you already know the answer for that... don't you?
Four years ago, I wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post revealing that DC spent nearly $25,000 per pupil during the 2007-08 school year. I calculated this figure from the public budget documents of the District of Columbia, which I subsequently summarized and linked on this blog
No education reporter followed up on my findings, and much lower per pupil figures continue to be reported to this day. My $25,000 figure was even greeted with skepticism by analysts at free market think tanks. One state education policy analyst wrote to say that my figure was “out of line with credible information,” and that I gave my critics “too much ammunition with this clearly questionable set of statistics.” 
Indeed, the Census Bureau figures for DC’s total K-12 expenditures were substantially lower than mine. I made a note to track down the discrepancy, but other projects intervened. When I updated my calculation to use DC budget estimates for the 2008-09 school year, I found that District spending had risen to over $28,000 / pupil. The comparable number for that year reported by the Bureau of the Census was just $18,181 (which you get by dividing the total expenditure figure in Table 1 by the enrollment figure in Table 15). 
So you can see why most folks were skeptical. Skeptical, but wrong.
More:

The problem, then, is not money.

The problem is teacher-union types, who would walk into a moving airplane propeller before they'd implement real education reform and work to hold teachers accountable for their abysmal outcomes.

No comments: