Thursday, September 15, 2005

Was the Columbian talking about little ol' me?

This was of some interesting yesterday’s Columbian. You don’t suppose they meant little ol’ me, do you?




In Our View - Flawed Performance

Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Columbian editorial writers


The state auditor's good overall report card for the city of Vancouver threatens to be overshadowed by embarrassing news of slipshod collections of impact fees from the city itself and the Vancouver Housing Authority.

The issue fuels perceptions in some quarters that the city gives special treatment to its pet projects while private developers must follow the rules: no building permits until impact fees are fully paid.

The matter might bring yawns to some local residents, but not to City Manager Pat McDonnell, who is determined to fix the problem, and at least one irate city council member and some critics of the city's downtown rejuvenation whose rants are beginning to show up on blogs.

More…

Yeah, well, I ranted. I admit it. My concern wasn’t the money, in particular, although one could ponder the response had a private entity failed to pay or “overlooked paying” ¾’s of a million dollars to government at any level, when and how due.

Is it the Columbian’s job to perform the role of damage control for the City of Vancouver? Is it their job to advocate for the city like they were getting paid for it?

I, personally, don’t think so. I’m sure a grateful Mayor and some on the city council appreciate their efforts at absolving the city for their mishandling of this situation.


And, while the nature of the transmission of this “error” was a “management letter” as opposed to a “finding,” I’m reminded of a story from 12 or 13 years ago concerning the recovery of the Squaw Fish in the Colorado River.

The US Government had spent millions to get rid of the Squaw Fish out of the Colorado River… much like they spend millions to get rid of it here in the Columbian River.

Well, they got very good at it and, eventually lowered the population to, well, practically nothing.

So, the government, BEING the government, decided, you guessed it, that the Colorado River Squaw Fish was an endangered species… EVEN THOUGH THAT WAS THE OUTCOME THE GOVERNMENT WANYTED… and, 10 years or so ago, budgeted $60 million for the recovery of the Squaw Fish… THAT WE HAD PAID THEM TO ERRADICATE.

Well, I was conversing with one of the biologists on this project, and I happened to mention that the Columbia River had a HUGE Squaw Fish population. She looked at me and said, “that won’t do. The Columbia River Squaw Fish is genetically different.”

My response: “Doesn’t that only matter to another squaw fish?”

So, in closing my “rant” on the Columbian’s “rant,” I offer this: That the notice came in a “management letter” instead of a “finding,” effectively only matters to another squaw fish… if you get my meaning. I could care LESS what the format of the result was all about. MY concern is that some in city government do not treat EVERYONE the same. And if that concern equates to a rant… then so be it.




No comments: