Saturday, March 05, 2016

The Columbian checks in: why did you close your blog down?

Imagine my surprise when I read this email:
RE: This is the most recent conversation I had with the Exec Dir of the PDC. 
Lauren Dake [Lauren.Dake@columbian.com]
To:  K.J. Hinton
_____________________________________________________________

Why did you quit your blog?

Lauren Dake
Politics reporter, The Columbian
Office: 360-735-4534
Cell: 541-554-1162
So, I briefly considered telling her the truth: that my clients are in fear of suffering harm, directly or indirectly, because I pissed off Rivers and Boldt.  Not to mention the fact that the same people have absolutely no problem trampling my First Amendment rights.

But what makes it problematic is a telling the truth here would likely lead to repercussions, such as a Boldt effort to remove the County from the federal lawsuit, as well as other negative actions on the part of Rivers, who is now acting like David Barnett's got his hand up her ass to tell her what to do and how to do it.

I will always put the clients first. My hobby, such as it is; can never be the cause of harm to those who have stood by me since for over a decade.

That Boldt and Rivers are capable of harming my clients is a given, as they have attempted to harm me personally through my clients, by virtue of calling them earlier in an effort to get me fired… All based on what I've written on the CCP blog.

That Rivers has tried by approaching Boldt to peel the county off the federal lawsuit is a fact.

That at this point, I can neither tell anyone nor do anything about it is also fact.

I keep reminding myself that essentially there's little difference between me and anybody else out there save two minor details: I know what I know and I commit it to a written form.

There was a book I read long ago, I think it might've been Winds of War by Herman Wouk, within which the observation was made… And I don't even remember the context… By a British army officer in talking to somebody about something who said "the Nazis only claim to be the master race."

Ultimately my travels in the political realm which have gone on so long, and so painfully, have taught me that integrity and honor is not assigned merely because of a letter after your name.

No comments: