Friday, July 20, 2012

Thoughts on Aurora, Colorado.

"An armed society is a polite society.  Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. "  - Robert A Heinlein Beyond This Horizon (1942)
I was working in my office at about 1:30 this morning when news came about the massacre in Aurora, Colorado.

My first thought was "... is this a terrorist, ala that Hasan slimeball and Ft. Hood?"

And then I became riveted to the coverage as facts began leaking out.... there were two shooters; no.... one.  There were 10 dead, then 14, then 13, then now, apparently, 12.  There were 20 wounded, then 30 then 50.

I began to wonder: what would I have done in that theater?

Well, if he hadn't got me first, I'd have shot him.  And I'd have shot him because I don't go anywhere without my .45.

That used to be a problem in my family.  After all, when I was going to church, or to the store... or to the movies... who needs to be armed in those places?

Clearly, the answer is now "we all do."

I'd been carrying since Koenninger's moronic, yet somehow prescient piece demanding the resignation of now Democrat County Commissioner Marc Boldt  resulted in some death threats back when Marc had been a legislator and I'd been his Legislative Assistant.  I was my own security in the district office.

But this post isn't to proffer an argument on the 2nd Amendment or gun control or any of that.  It's not even to point out that Commissioner Boldt voted for an ordinance that would have enabled the county to confiscate our weapons if they were so inclined.

No, this post is to point out the obvious: had at least one armed individual been in that movie crowd, there is an increased chance that the likelihood of this vast amount of death and destruction would not have been as great.

I'm not going to get on the Tea Party-style high horse and make the absurd claim that NO one would have been killed. 

But now, we're going to be faced with absurd demands to make ever-more restrictive gun laws... as if any of those would have stopped this from happening.

What I am suggesting here is the same thing I suggested as a result of the Virginia Tech massacre given the response to those, like me, who suggest that no place should be off limits to firearms merely because it's a school:
 "In situations like these, I tend to think of those writing these editorials in terms of "what would THEY want if their life was on the line?"

If these writers were at risk in a classroom. If there was a Columbine-style shooting going on in a school where they happened to be; would they pissed that I was carrying a .357 magnum? Would they be so outraged when I pulled my weapon and ended the threat?

It's not hard to imagine these sanctimonious hypocrites in a Virginia Tech classroom, whimpering on the floor in little liberal, whinny puddles, howling with outrage that some student or faculty member; or even worse, say, a college-student military-veteran had actually come to class with a firearm and was ready to use it to SAVE THEIR INCREASINGLY WORTHLESS LIVES had actually done so.
Within the past year, my wife has started shooting.  Got a nice little Walther PPK that gets it done.  Now, however, is the time for her to get her permit and begin to carry it, like I do, everywhere.

Because if we had been in that theater, maybe we'd have made it.  If SHE had been in that theater unarmed?

Likely not.

Unfortunately, this is likely to become a political football, where both sides quickly lose sight of the issue: government cannot keep us safe; we have to do that ourselves.  And in this day and age, those most strident in their demands that we be disarmed should really stop and ask themselves this question first:

"What if I had been in that theater?"

Because your efforts to disarm us will only embolden those who are not really likely to follow the law in the first place.

Then what?

It's a sad commentary that our society has reached this point.  But it has.  So, what to do?

Get a weapon and stand a post in your own security.  If you know how to use a weapon, then you should be armed.  If you don't, then get trained and THEN get armed.

Unfortunately, there are two classes of people in 2012: the sheep.... and the wolves.

Which one are you?

The people in the theater? 

Which one were they?

5 comments:

Lew said...

This video says it all

Martin Hash said...

I don't carry a gun. I don't own a gun, I don't ever want to own a gun.

I have been inside a barbwire enclosure for 6 days in Angola without a valid visa or sanitation. My wife was almost raped by a guard at the corrupt ferry port in Congo. My vehicle was hi-jacked by a man with an AK47 for 2 days in Kenya because he wanted a ride back to his village Imstead of fighting rebels. I'm pretty sure a gun would have got me killed In any of those situations but I support your right to have one.

K.J. Hinton said...

As much as I appreciate your Angolan adventures, one has to ask: were you in that theater last night, would you have prefered to sit there and play target, or be armed and shoot back?

Or sit next to me and hope I could protect you?

Like I said, Martin, there are two kinds of people: when it comes to choices, there'sonly one....

Sheep... or wolf?

Had you possessed a weapon and been adequately trained in it's use, you would likely not have been as vulnerable as those people in that theater who had no chance and no way to fight back.

But life is about choices. And in this case, I would have attended your funeral and said nice things about you.

And, BTW, Martin... I would have blown him away to save you.

Just sayin'.

Gr8mochas said...

In my mind there are sheep, wolves and sheepdogs. The wolves prey on the sheep, the sheepdog stands guard and defends the sheep. There will always be wolves and there will always be sheep. The question becomes who will be the sheepdog? Each of us can make that choice. For some, they can't, for others being a sheepdog is who they are. I am grateful for the sheepdogs in my life as I learn to become one.

Martin Hash said...

I do take a certain satisfaction when I hear of some scumbag being taken out by an armed citizen but it won't be me. I'll probably be hit by lightning (if it's not a heart attack in bed with 2 beautiful blonds.)