Sunday, June 03, 2012

Still wondering: Why doesn't our member of Congress have town hall meetings?

I wonder... Why is she afraid?

Until the end, Brian Baird for all his many faults (And they were legion) held town hall meetings and was one of the most responsive elected officials I'd ever seen.

I don't really know why all that went away... but away it went.  And he used fake death threats as a reason to avoid having town hall meetings until David Hedrick popped his rhetorical IED at the Amphitheater a few years back.

Now, regular readers know I have severe heartburn with Jaime Herrera as our member of Congress.

I've taken shots at her for a variety of reasons.  There are many reasons why I don't believe she should be in Congress beyond her role as a junior, minor staffer for Cathy McMorris.

But not the least of these is her failure to hold town hall meetings.

I wonder... Why is she afraid?

Until the end, Brian Baird for all his many faults (And they were legion) held town hall meetings and was one of the most responsive elected officials I'd ever seen.

I don't really know why all that went away... but away it went. And he used fake death threats as a reason to avoid having town hall meetings until David Hedrick popped his rhetorical IED at the Amphitheater a few years back.

Now, regular readers know I have severe heartburn with Jaime Herrera as our member of Congress.

I've taken shots at her for a variety of reasons. There are many reasons why I don't believe she should be in Congress beyond her role as a junior, minor staffer for Cathy McMorris.

But not the least of these is her failure to hold town hall meetings
When I ask myself why is it that Herrera refuses to meet the people that lack a checkbook or aren't potential donors or who otherwise haven't been carefully screened, I can only conclude two possibilities:

First?

Lack of intellect, experience and education.

Herrera was no more ready to become a member of Congress then she was to perform brain surgery.

She got the gig, though, using "shenanigans" that put the Zarelli episode to shame.

Because of redistricting and her spending of tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars for campaign pieces disguised (Loosely, I might ad) as "questionnaires" and such, Herrera is quite likely to be in Congress until her arrogance and easy route makes her think she can take on, say, Patty Murray in 4 years.

Jaime has never shown herself to be a master of the language.  Clearly, when she went at it with a lightweight like Leavitt on her fake efforts to get a vote on loot rail, Leavitt cleaned her clock.  Repeatedly.   And most sophomore class presidents could beat that clown to death in a debate scenario, so that ain't saying much for Jaime.

The result?

Herrera's handlers are afraid to let her loose and unscripted where she could look like an idiot.

Which brings us to the second possible reason.

Fear.  Cowardice.  Shame.

Jaime is afraid.

Not likely physically afraid... but mentally, emotionally... she doesn't like getting yelled at.

She doesn't like confrontation.  Who does?  But one could point out:

Doesn't it come with the territory?

But most of all, she doesn't like to get humiliated.  And leaving her out there to speak for herself makes that a very likely outcome.

For many months now, I have been wishing that our congressional representative was Allen West.

Not so much, anymore, because when push came to shove, he took some votes and did some things that made him no different then any of the rest.  For example, he signed a letter requesting suspension of the earmark rule.  Not even Jaime signed that.

So, I've modified my stance just a touch: I'd settle for a congressman LIKE West, with just a tad more integrity.

Kind of like this:



Jaime could actually grow into a representative as opposed to the poser she is now, not allowed to think.... or do.... or act.... for the people....

Unless, of course, her handlers say she can.

No comments: