Sunday, February 20, 2011

Giving credit where it's due: Stuart apologized to Madore.

.

I beat on Steve Stuart pretty hard for a lot of years for a great many reasons and a few days ago was no exception... but I have to give credit where it's due:

Stuart has publicly appologized to David Madore for his name calling insults.

Update: Here is an e-mail message Commissioner Steve Stuart sent today to David Madore:

David,

Not sure if you've read the Columbian blog today reporting on a conversation the Commissioners had yesterday about the upcoming Congressional listening session. In the blog, I was quoted calling you a name. The context isn't important, but it is important to me that I make no excuses and say I'm sorry to you. As a public servant and person who believes in the Golden Rule, it's simply inappropriate for me to say thoughtless things like that. We can disagree on details without being disagreeable.

Again, I'm sorry for my remark, and look forward to seeing you soon. Also, I hope you don't mind that I'm cc:ing the other Commissioners and the Columbian reporter who were all at the meeting so it is clear to them that I believe I was wrong.

Take care, Steve

It is this kind of thing that can force a grudging respect.

Now, if we could only get him off this bridge/loot rail thing...
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if you want even more interesting thought, guess who attended one of Madore's community meetings? Yep, Steve Stuart.

So I give some credit. At least he is willing to listen to the other side if decent facts are presented.

K.J. Hinton said...

While I would like it if the man would be most concerned about what his county-wide constituency wants (Those supporting this project clearly don't care what the people think, want or believe.. which is why we haven't been allowed to vote on this) Stuart seems to understand that while agreement isn't always possible... or even likely... it is incumbent upon our elected officials to listen and understand why they are running into increasingly restive public reaction.

Stuart seems to be beginning the process of that understanding. It may do nothing to change his positions... but he is fulfilling his role as a public official by giving the appearance of listening... and one of the things I tell candidates I work with:

If you're an elected official, you don't always have to agree... but you always have to listen.

Leavitt has forgotten that. Stuart seems to be setting an example that Tim and the other pro-bridge types in government would be well-served to emulate.