Thursday, October 21, 2010

Adventures with OfficeMax.

.
So, a few days ago, I ordered a refurbished computer from OfficeMax. I ordered a HP Pavilion p6120f. What really attracted me was that it came standard with 8 gig of RAM. It was a 2.8 Pentium, not exactly leading edge, but good enough for what I need it for.

Well, the order went in on October 11, and it was delivered October 18th.

When I fired it up the first time, I was somewhat surprised to see the Windows 7 operating system, since I ordered it with Vista. It even had a Vista sticker on the side:



(I cut the Product Key out of the image)

But I was amazed when the following popped up on the screen:

Windows 7

Series 7600

This copy of Windows is not genuine.



That's right: OfficeMax shipped me a computer with a pirated copy of Windows 7. The computer made a point of telling me that.



Then, it blue screened, an almost unheard of issue on Windows 7. (Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of that)

So, I thought I'd call OfficeMax and have a little chat with them.

I talked to a very patient young man, and he arranged the return of the unit, after offering me a NEW desktop computer for $30 less than I paid for the refurbished unit.

It had two problems: only 3 gig of ram and it was one of those miniature desktops, an HP Pavilion s5510f "Slimline".

I'm not going to replace an 8 gig machine (which apparently was only shipped with 6 gig, by the way) with a 3 gig.

I'm stunned, however, to have received a computer with what seems to be an illegal copy of Windows 7.

And now, 3 days later, it still hasn't been picked up by UPS (Seeing what Brown can do for me? Not much) so that I can RMA it back to OfficeMax and pick something else up. The budget won't allow me to buy two, so I have to wait for this one to be picked up so I can be credited with it to get another one.
.
Sigh.
.
OfficeMax. "Work with us."
.
Yeah.
.
Right.
.

4 comments:

Lew said...

So far, I've been very pleased with what we purchase from Best Buy. I just bought an HP Pavilion P6654Y and it came with a real copy of Windows 7.

That is taking a bit of getting used to.

After a couple days, it somehow lost the driver for the CD/DVD, but a quick email to HP Support got me a detailed reply with instructions at beginner level and it was back in minutes.

I also purchased an ACER Inspire One Netbook for when I go out, like when I'll live blog for Victoria Taft November 2 that has Windows 7 Starter. Cute little thing that I hope works well, especially since it cost us less than $250.00 at Target

Years ago I bought an EMachines from Office Depot that I hated and had continual problems with.

I'll stick with companies like BestBuy, they have done me real good so far.

K.J. Hinton said...

Well, to make it interesting, I just reported them to Microsoft for sending out a unit with a "not Genuine" copy of Windows 7 on it.

Let them straighten it out.

Michael Cummins said...

That's just amazing. I wonder if configurers at OfficeMax are selling the good licenses on the sly. But that would seem to be such a stupid crime.

But on the other hand I can't imagine this is corporate policy. Please let us know if MS fills you in on what they find.

K.J. Hinton said...

So far, no response from Microsoft... and the omputer is still sitting here... waiting for pick up by UPS.

Sigh.

I'll keep everyone posted.