Monday, March 14, 2011

More on the J-Nukes: Long, extremely non-technical explanation as to why the Nuke plants will NOT pose a health problem to us.

.
It's hard to know exactly what to believe. But this explanation, while long, is extremely non-technical and understandable... and it makes sense.

Give it a look:

**original post below**

I know this is a fairly full on statement from someone posting his very first blog. It will also be far and away the most well written, intelligent post I ever make (I hope!) It also means I am not responsible for its content.

This post is by Dr Josef Oehmen, a research scientist at MIT, in Boston.

He is a PhD Scientist, whose father has extensive experience in Germany’s nuclear industry. I asked him to write this information to my family in Australia, who were being made sick with worry by the media reports coming from Japan. I am republishing it with his permission.

It is a few hours old, so if any information is out of date, blame me for the delay in getting it published.

This is his text in full and unedited. It is very long, so get comfy.

I am writing this text (Mar 12) to give you some peace of mind regarding some of the troubles in Japan, that is the safety of Japan’s nuclear reactors. Up front, the situation is serious, but under control. And this text is long! But you will know more about nuclear power plants after reading it than all journalists on this planet put together.

There was and will *not* be any significant release of radioactivity.

By “significant” I mean a level of radiation of more than what you would receive on – say – a long distance flight, or drinking a glass of beer that comes from certain areas with high levels of natural background radiation.

More:

Is this information correct? I have no idea. Ask me about fuel injection management, small unit infantry tactics, .45 caliber automatics. The stuff in this article is WAY above my pay grade.

But it is easily understood and it makes sense, even to me. So give it a read.
.

1 comment:

Martin Hash said...

I remember "duck and cover." All of us 2nd graders would lock our hands behind our necks and hide under our desks, then stupendously ill-conceived "safety counselors" would explain why the B&W films we watched of people rotting from the inside from nuclear radiation would not happen to us. Talk about traumatizing an entire generation of Americans. The price we paid for that insanity was that we burn precious oil and coal today, a half-century after nuclear power would have changed the world.