Saturday, April 03, 2010

iPad. I don't get it.

.
I get the book reader... maybe. No camera, video or USB ports make it a rather expensive paper weight in today's era of cheap laptops that can do 10 times as much for half the money.

It's certainly different and all that... but is it worth the buzz?

Even the name iPad... ("Heavy flow? There's an ap for that!") is kind of, well, stupid, according to my 16 year old daughter.


That it is difficult to impossible to print from makes it more a toy than a serious electronic device. Laptop and netbook manufacturers shouldn't lose any sleep over this.... yet.

Had this been built with a hard drive and some version of the ports all computers have at a similar laptop price; 4 or more gigs of ram and the like, there is no question that it would have driven a truck through most of the current laptop/netbook market.

The problem for apple is that there are others on the drawing board that do most of the things this does... and more... for less money.

My guess is that 2 or 3 years from now, most of these things sold today will wind up gathering dust in closets of the households unfortunate enough to have bought them.

But hey. That's just me, and I'm hamstrung by believing that for the money, apple is mostly a joke.
.

1 comment:

Lew said...

I haven't entered to Ipod, Ipad or what have you craze. I guess I'm just too old for much of this fancy new gadgets.

LOL, I still remember working simple math on a slide rule.

Money is tight nowadays and I'm content to spend it a bit wiser.