Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Change of pace: start of my biking hobby.

As I get older, and all those "it was a great idea at the time" Army and football injuries catch up to me, I realize that I have to stay active to keep my weight under control, my blood pressure down and my joints in shape.

This will also help my amateur drag racing efforts, yard work around the 3 acres of the palatial estate, and riding the Tour de' Cure course upcoming in late July out of Hillsboro Stadium... the 100 miler not likely this year but more likely next year.

So, in starting my training effort, a good friend of mine let me borrow his 20 gazillion speed bike.... it's one of those you have to ride like Lance Armstrong.

Well, I tried it out twice... passing out the second time and hitting a fence a glancing blow... minimal blood, a little more bruising.

Surprisingly (for me) my legs held up great, considering the hammering they've taken from football and the Army.

But my neck and back?  Not happening.

Enter recumbent bikes.

So, I picked this one up:


It came with the fairing in front, but without the tint.

It's a 27 speed with controls in the handlebars.... got it off craigslist used for half of retail new.

Compared to the bent over, star at the ground regular bike, this thing is a rolls-royce.

It's got a bit different feel; steering is a little bit more, well, "interesting."

But the seat is comfort that is indescribable compared to the typical, relatively tiny bike seat and the upright position is simply amazing.

Looking forward to getting out there and making this happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work, Kelly! :) --Jeremy

Jack said...

The windshield ought to keep the bugs out of your teeth.

Danielle said...

I am very proud of you.

K.J. Hinton said...

Thank you all.... and as I rode through my "getting used to the steering, inaugural ride in the rain" effort today, I was pledging to myself that the excuses ended with the forking over of the cash. I'm committed now... and I will see this through.

And I love you, Hon.