Sunday, August 13, 2023

Today's adventure in automotive nightmares.

So, yesterday, having failed to anticipate what is likely obvious to any other wrench, I discovered that the engine I am attempting to swap from an 85 Camaro will not, in fact, fit in a 69 Camaro, primarily because the oil pan is too thick over the cross member:



Both 1 and 2 are the oil pan. 1 is the oil pan sitting on the cross member. I also need to transfer the motor mounts from the 85, but I can do that.


So now, I'm looking for an oil pan that will work AND, of course, an oil pan gasket.

Here's the problem:

Here's the oil pan gasket based on the information concerning the engine I'm installing: 14093638 5.7 LG SGI  (350 CI) block from the 87-95 Camaro year group.




Here's the oil pan I removed from that same engine:



One of these things is not like the other.

You'll note two things: first, the gasket shows 20 bolt holes. The oil pan I pulled off shows 10 holes meaning the replacement oil pan I want to install (presuming one can be found) also must have 10 holes that line up with those on the block.

Second, I need another oil pan (obviously) but I need one with 10 holes, or I need one where the holes line up on the block with the ten holes that I can use, while just ignoring the remaining 10, unused holes.

I've spent hours looking for an oil pan that will work. I can't be the only guy who's stuck one of these into a 69 Camaro... but trying to find this hurts whatever is left of my brain.

I am undeterred. I'm sure that this planet has been visited by other spaceships and I just need one to give me the coordinates.

So to speak. 

No comments: