Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Unsolicited product testimonial: Summit Racing

Some readers may know that I'm into drag racing. I have an 85 Camaro that is race only: I've only been able to put it down the track around 10 times, but I did click off a 12.72 @ 109 in the 1/4 last year.



This year, as budget conscious (tight) as I am, I'm going to go faster for cheap. (Usually, when the question is asked, "how fast do want to go," the answer is "how much do you want to spend?")

This car has an automatic. Car with automatics usually need special torque converters to go faster.

You can spend a LOT of money on torque converters... $1000 plus is not uncommon.

Well, I'm not going there. This is a hobby... not an obsession, so I spent $329 on a Hughes GM-30 with a 3000-stall rate.

Well, Summit includes shipping on many purchases... so the included shipping, ground transport, was something I expected to have to wait 7 to 10 days delivery time to see.

Slightly less then 40 hours later, that TC was on my doorstep, having come out of Summit's Sparks, NV warehouse... and that sucker looks like it can withstand nuclear war.

But that's not the point of this, really, although kudos to Summit for the price and the quality of the unit in question.

The point is that yesterday, I ordered a polyurethane transmission mount... particularly since I couldn't find one around here. (Trans mounts, like engine mounts, are usually rubber, and not really built to


withstand full race applications. Poly mounts are, but there's much less "give" so the smoothness factor is reduced.) And when I checked delivery today, and saw that the mount will be coming out of Summit's EASTERN warehouse, I again anticipated a much longer wait.

Imagine my surprise when I read:

Scheduled Delivery: Thursday, 04/19/2012, By End of Day

While it's likely not going to be back together this weekend (The car is in the air on my four-poster lift with the transmission hanging in the air... not the easiest job in the world) I can realistically aim for next week end at Portland International.

When companies "deliver" good customer service and products, it's a good idea for ALL of us to pass the word around.

Just sayin'.

No comments: