Thursday, February 26, 2009

On the issue of showing the coffins: Respecting our Fallen or providing a reminder

.
As the reader can see, Blackfive is one of the blogs I follow. Today, he had a few hundred well-chosen words on the issue of pictures of flag-draped coffins at Dover AFB among other places.

There is no way I could improve upon his sentiments. I reproduce, in part, the some of the many well-expressed views that exactly mirror my own.

Thanks Matt, for all you do, and all you've done.

BlackfiveBanner02


Respecting our Fallen or providing a reminder

Posted By Blackfive

Mr. Wolf's post sums up my feelings about the change in policy in media taking photographs of our fallen at Dover. IAVA's Paul Reickhoff issued this statement about it:

“Less than 1% of the American population has served in Iraq or Afghanistan. There has never been a greater disconnect between those who serve in harms warm and those back home. All too often, the sacrifices of our military are hidden from view. The sight of flag-draped coffins is, and should be, a sobering reminder to all Americans of the ultimate sacrifice our troops have made and the high price of our freedom,” said IAVA Executive Director Paul Rieckhoff.

I understand some of what Paul is saying - that Americans are not connected to this war. After all, that's what great about Taking Chance (the story or the movie). It shows the connections that are there even when we think they aren't.

What I believe on this matter is that the soldiers are not being represented. I have lost three of the best men I could have as friends. Their families' inconsolable grief is something that I would want to ease. If having a photo of their son's casket, treated with dignity, would ease their grief or concerns, I can see Secretary Gates' position. From Reuters:

...President Barack Obama asked for a policy review early this month and Gates said that drew a call for change from the U.S. Army, which represents the largest portion of war dead.

"My conclusion was that we should not presume to make the decision for the families," Gates said.

"I believe that the American people would defer to the wishes of the families of the fallen," he added. "That's where I would wager a lot of money."...


More:

No comments: